Sunday, August 3, 2014

It was the best picnic...

Family....
The word "Family" means many different things to different people. What do you think of? Your ancestors? Your children? Where you live? This week, the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is to create a project the conveys Family. I created a page in my art journal for this challenge. When I think of family, I think of our family dinner table; a time when we come together to discuss and share.
My project started with a page that was removed from an old children s book. I love this illustration and I wanted to incorporate it in my journal. I encountered two major obstacles with this project. The first problem was composition because I was attempting to keep the page whole. I wanted to be able to see the illustration and read some of the text. The second obstacle was trying to create this project with limited supplies. We were in the process of moving when I created this and many of my supplies and tools were packed away, so I had to use what I had on hand. (note: I never did find my glue. How weird is that?)

This silhouette was done in red instead of traditional black. I wanted to add some much needed color. All of the papers were from the BasicGrey Herbs and Honey line. It's all that I had available at the time, so I'm glad that they worked well. :)

What comes to your mind when you think of "Family"? Join us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog and your project could win a $50 gift voucher to Simon Says Stamp.  We draw a new winner each week. Your project could also be chosen to be featured in our weekly designer spotlight.

http://www.shareasale.com/r.cfm?u=821072&b=199868&m=24698&afftrack=&urllink=www%2ESimonSaysStamp%2Ecom

13 comments:

  1. Wow wow wow!! This is amazing!! I loveeeeeeee it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a clever combination of styles and elements! I am so drawn to that type of vintage artwork, so I appreciates how you kept it intact and highlighted it as a focal point. I thought it was brilliant to add color through your embellishments since the picture was black and white and I think the way you kept some text showing (what great words, too!) was just perfect! Very original, yet still very YOU, which is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Michelle! What a great way to repurpose a book page! Love all your added details and creative touches! The red silhouette looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely page! It's so gorgeous and so retro looking! Love it! Hugs, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love illustrations from children's book like this one and love how you incorporated it! the pop of color is just the right focal point. Beautiful page. Hope the move went well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore vintage children's books so of course I smiled immediately when I saw this page. What a cool idea! :)

    *mwah*
    Steph
    Simon Says Stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the beautiful background image! Your creation is fabulous, Michelle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every week, waiting to see what you can invent! Your originality is amazing, your creativity is endless! Even today I have amazed! Beautiful creation, I love the mix you've created! BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  9. so full of lovely vintageness!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love it !!!! so original and so beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope your move went well Michelle! Such a fun journal page you created and that print is lovely. Love the red silhouette.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a brilliant idea and once again, it's so original ~ I love it! Hope your move went well Michelle! :)

    ReplyDelete